1. February ended with an extra 24 hours in 2016. What did you do with your bonus day?
Gee, not much. I worked and though I went into the day feeling motivated, I ended it feeling blah. My stomach had been hurting most of the day, as it did into the night. I had grand intentions of watching Martin Freeman on Jimmy Fallon but I didn’t make it. All in all, I squandered my boon of time.
2. What’s something in your life that’s grown by leaps and bounds in recent days, weeks, months, or years? I’m giving you lots of room to come up with an answer here, so no fair passing on this one.
This is lame and y’all will judge me but my love and appreciation of Iron Maiden. I listened to them in passing as a teenager but maybe I didn’t have the mental capacity to fully understand the depth of their talent. I am so enamored by this band and it’s such a nice distraction from all the stuff I have to accomplish every day!
3. Do you read reviews about a film before deciding if you’ll see it? Did you watch The Oscars this year, and if so your thoughts on the program? How many of the Best Picture nominees had you seen prior to the broadcast? (Spotlight, The Martian, The Big Short, The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road, Room, and Brooklyn) If you watched The Oscars who gets your award for ‘best dressed’?
I sometimes read reviews but not many of them I trust. I have different tastes than a lot of people so most reviewers are going to disagree with me. Case in point, I thought American Psycho was a hilarious movie. I was literally the only one laughing in the theater.
I did watch and I thought it was an ok show. I had seen Revenant and Mad Max and The Martian. I often feel that the Oscars are mostly for folks who like to sit around in drawing rooms and swirl their wine around and act pretentious. So admittedly, I was happy to see that a movie like Mad Max got some recognition, as it was an all-around great action film. (And Tom Hardy didn’t speak, which is all I ask of him: sit there and be pretty. Good boy.)
I didn’t pay attention to their clothes for one second. I’m just not that into fashion.
4. When did you last have overnight houseguests? Give us your top three tips on being a good houseguest.
Hmm, my parents came through town and then back again in the span of four days and I do not mind, but we’ve had other guests so I guess my top three tips for being a good guest are:
- leave things as you found them in the room you’re staying
- be aware of the conventions of the host’s house; respect them
- clean up after yourself
5. March 2nd is Peanut Butter Lover’s Day. Will you be celebrating? If so, would you prefer a home made peanut butter cookie, a Reese’s peanut butter cup, an old fashioned peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or shall I just hand you a jar and a tablespoon?
I love me some pb&j but what I really love are Reese’s Pieces. But I also love a good buckeye. Chocolate and peanut butter were meant to go together.
I was honestly going to make a pb&j sandwich for lunch but then I made sweet and sour chicken and that sort of trumps a sammich.
6. Why is failure important? Or isn’t it?
I fully believe that failure is super important. We’ve strayed from that so much, what with “every kid get a trophy” and all. I remember being a kid and losing something. Sure, I was disappointed. And sometimes I cried. But it also put it back on me to do better. Isn’t that what we’re supposed to be doing – improving? If we don’t let anyone fail, then where’s the pressure to do better? This is a huge problem in our country in general. Stop bailing everyone out and show them that if you fail, you work hard to improve.
7. Share with us one fun thing on your March calendar.
Well, this weekend I am going with my sister and the baby over to my parents’ house. My sister has to use some of her vacation time so we’re headed over. My mom’s slightly younger friend is calling it a girls’ weekend, though I’m too stressed about shoring up things around here to get excited just yet. My dad will be watching Dakota, for the most part. So yeah, it will end up being fun, I am sure.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I just realized how much I have to get done today. I have an hour before a block of student conferences until 10:45. Then I do get a break but have a million papers to grade and I will need to squeeze in actual eating. Three more conferences and then I have to cover someone’s class. Then I can grade again until four when I have got to go to the store. We have no staples; no bread, bananas, grapes, or… pancakes. The kids want pancakes every day that I don’t seem to have them.
Anywho, let me buckle down and get this done. Happy Wednesday. Rock on!