1. When was the last time you chatted with a neighbor? About what? (sharing that last bit is optional)
Just this past Sunday. Our neighbour, Jon, asked what I was doing to combat the dying grass. He’s got the same issue and we both agreed it was bugs. He said he might pick up some grass plugs so together, we’ll be tackling this on-going yard issue.
2. River, lake, ocean, or waterfall…which one are you most like and why?
Hmm, I used to think ocean because I could be clear and calm at times but then tumultuous with a rip current at others. At this stage of my life, I’ll say a river: steady, flowing, some turbulence but not much.
3. July 13 is National Delaware Day. Ever been to Delaware? Delaware is called ‘the first state’ because it was the first to declare independence from the British. What’s your state’s nickname and does that moniker make sense to you? If you were in charge, what nickname would you give your home state?
I have not been there as far as I know. We did used to travel the east coast so it’s possible we drove through. Obviously, I live in Florida – the Sunshine State. You bet your butt it makes sense but what most people don’t know is that it isn’t all sun and amusement parks and “Florida Man.” I don’t think I’d change it though, because it fits us well.
4. What dish did you contribute to the last pot luck meal you attended? Do you have a go-to recipe for pot luck suppers?
Probably baked beans. It was easy. Now usually, I will make mac and cheese or some kind of dish that serves a lot of people. I’m attending my boss’s summer picnic soon and my plan is to make this: (scroll down for recipe after clicking)
5. What is your number one tip for a brand new parent?
Hmm, well for one, I’d make sure they know to ignore that whole “sleep when they sleep” saying. Because it makes you feel bad for wanting to clean or watch TV or just be alone during nap time. So my real piece of advice is to listen to yourself – you common sense – and don’t get too caught up in books and magazines and websites because you know your kid. Sure, you don’t have all the answers but I honestly think they present themselves.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
I just now realized that I’m in a pretty good mood and I can’t explain it. Ever experience that? Life can be so go go go that we don’t even have time to stop and assess our feelings at any given moment. But my overall disposition at this moment in time is content and even happy. WEIRD!
4 thoughts on “Wednesday Hodgepodge – neighbors, pot lucks, and new parenting tips”
My advice to a new mum, the baby doesn’t hate you or is plotting to make your life miserable and sleep deprived it just feels like it at time, so don’t take things to seriously. Never been to Delaware doubt I ever will…………..
I’m glad you’re having a “feel good” day. 🙂
As far as sleeping when they sleep, it is a good idea, but like most things in parenthood, it isn’t written in stone. People have to do what works for them. 🙂 Too bad you don’t get some hours in the day added once you have kids, because you sure need them!
Have a blessed day.
It is easy to be a parenting expert when you don’t have any kids. I remember thinking things like, “I would never let my kid go out of the house wearing nothin’ but a diaper. With our youngest, we were happy if we could keep a diaper on her. Have a great week.
LOL this is so true!