1. Can you believe it’s the end of January? What was the best day of January 2017 for you, and why?
I am sort of surprised that it IS January already, to be honest. It has been both busy and forgetful, in some weird way. I would say the BEST day so far was probably… January 1st. We were in Pensacola and we went to the brewery and then to a friend’s house. It was just a really nice time.
2. What sounds make up the background noise in your life?
Children chattering, then children whining and arguing, the dog licking, hair metal bands, wrestling and Paw Patrol on tv.
3. I read on the Power of Positivity website a list of ten things to drop from your life right now. They are: anger outbursts, people who put you down, regret, negative self talk, being a people pleaser, the notion you need to be perfect, the past (but keep the lessons learned!), gossip and judgment, comparing yourself to others, and the word hate (focus on what you love instead)
Which thing on the list do you most need to drop? Are you trying or will you try?
I think I need to probably work on less judgement and I only say that because it’s the closest to how I feel when I see others being so damn judgy and hypocritical.
4. What is sacred to you?
The time I spend running. I know that seems odd and even though it hurts, it’s my time. It’s time to assess my physical body – where I hurt, when I am getting stronger – and my mind. I work through issues and the ways I feel about topics and I make plans. It’s such a cleansing activity that I hold it sacred.
5. January is National Oatmeal month. Are you a fan, and if so how do you like it?
I do like oatmeal, specifically apple and spice flavor. I don’t spend time making it non-instant style, though. I was making overnight oats for a while, if those count.
6. What feelings does twilight stir up in you?
Ahh, my favorite time of day. It’s hard to put into words how it makes me feel but I love it. Perhaps it is hanging onto light that I love. Though night has special qualities as well, I am drawn to sun so it’s that last effort to harness the warmth and light of the sun before it dips down for the evening.
7. Something you’re looking forward to next month (February)?
I agree with our host: a free weekend! I’m looking forward to a slew of things: finishing my half marathon this weekend and taking about a week off from running, camping mid-February, soccer ending on the 18th, and just reassessing our daily schedules after. Baseball will begin not long after so it’s going to be pretty hectic. The boys are both in leagues that have 2 day a week games, on a M/W/F schedule, so we could potentially be at games/practices 5 out of 7 days! Here’s hoping they have a lot of those on the same days.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
This morning, the fog was low-lying but the sun sprightly bright and it kept catching shafts of light, illuminating the sky in an orangey-yellow glow, so soft and hazy it felt… reassuring? Comforting? Like a fuzzy blanket on the world.
I was talking to a friend who thinks something VERY BAD is going to happen in our country soon. Maybe so, but I will continue to take moments like this morning and adding them to my jar of ‘good things’ so I can be happy. If something is going to happen, it’s out of my control.