I don’t have it in me to write up a long vacation summary so I’ll give you some of the highlights via bullets, because I like bullets. How many bullets, Chino? How many bullets? (West Side Story anyone?)
- United is a cruddy airline. Nothing free, make you use your own devices for viewing (it was an 8 hour flight) and the plane we took had power outlets but they weren’t working.
- The Courtyard King Kamehameha is an excellent hotel in the heart of Kona, if you were looking for options.
- Some of the food highlights: fish tacos, Kahlua pork, sushi.
- Zip lining 200 feet over a 250 foot waterfall could be the most adventurous thing I have ever done; if you don’t count parenting/childbirth. 😉
- The Big Island is not as touristy as Oahu.
- The Volcano National Park isn’t really that impressive. People told us we needed two days there but we finished in half. It was neat, don’t get me wrong.
- The state bird that they want to protect is called the nene. As in, watch me whip, watch me…
- Kayaking is pretty neat, especially when done in the Pacific.
- The Kona brewing company is where it’s at; their pizza is by far the tastiest I have ever eaten.
- Flying back across Texas when a huge storm was coming through after it hit Mexico was NOT fun. Bumpy ride and delays. Also, I hate flying anyway.
- Being home is weird. I am re-acclimating the life I led before: parenting, driving kids to school, buying groceries, grading papers, working. All that seems so… odd and foreign. I was only gone 10 days!
There you have it. It was nice to get away but you have to come back to reality at some point. I didn’t even feel very jet-lagged yesterday but today, I’m a little blah. I have a feeling I will be having more caffeine in not that long. Work will get very busy here in just a moment and I have to try to wrap my brain around the fact that I am back in Florida, to Tallahassee, in my office, and back to plain old me.
OF COURSE the theme is Halloween! Let’s see what I can conjure up.
The best Halloween movie with the best soundtrack:
And then there’s this classic song scene from Beetlejuice. It was both upbeat and scary as all get-out.
5 thoughts on “MMMM + Semi-vacation recap”
Love ALL your picks! HAPPY HALLOWEEN & thank you for playing along with us. Oh, and I never fly United… of course I don’t fly much anymore. My Mom use to live in Vegas and I flew there at the very least once a year & my daughter too. We always flew Southwest.
All the airlines are cruddy, from what I understand. I’m glad I don’t have to get on them anymore.
So you will not be flying United again I take it, we will not fly New Zealand airline again didn’t like it, what sucks is when you don’t know that an airline sucks before you fly with them cheap isn’t always better
Oh yes I’d love to taste some Kahlua pork 🙂
Glad you had a great vacation!
Thanks for sharing music with us. I love Banana Boat song!
Have a restful week!
Welcome back to life…sigh…
Anyway, Beetlejuice had some really fun song in that movie. Great pick!