Linking up today for this sweet meme.
1. On Thursday we pause to remember a dark day in history-9/11. Will you mark it in some special way?
Now that my children are getting old enough to understand what happened, it changes the day. Before, I remembered it in a reverent way but we didn’t really do anything. The kids’ daycare has a memorial with a bunch of flags set up and when Elliot asked what 9/11 is, I got the opportunity to explain it to him. And tell him how his Papa (my dad) had a meeting scheduled for that day in the twin towers… but it got moved to 9/10. He watched the smoke rise in the distance from his office in New Jersey across the river.
2. Do you ever/still…listen to an actual radio? Watch a videotape (VCR)? Look up a number in a telephone book? Refer to an actual paper map while traveling? Set an alarm on an alarm clock as opposed to your phone?
I have satellite radio in my car so I don’t think that counts (?) but in Ash’s we listen to local stations. And yes, we have an actual alarm clock. It was Ash’s when he first went to college in 1998! We actually don’t keep our cell phones in the bedrooms when we sleep. But aside from those two examples, phone books are useless and we have GPS in the car. Sometimes I do miss the old days but those technologies are too good to go without. I do still write my grocery list sometimes though.
3. Is it ever a good idea to discuss religion and politics with people you don’t know?
Only if you feel like fighting. Sometimes I do! There’s a specific person I work with whom I always goad into a debate. She’s a hardcore hippie.
4. What’s a dish you haven’t eaten all summer, but come September find yourself craving? Have you made it yet this month?
Carbonara. The way my mom does it. It’s kind of heavy but so good. I haven’t had it since March but I’m thinking I will buy some pancetta and make it soon.
5. What’s something you know nothing about?
Man, that’s a tough one. I know a little bit about a lot of things. I’m going to go with DNA mapping. (In light of the recent story that broke about figuring out who jack the Ripper was.)
6. September is Classical Music Month? Do you like classical music? If so, what’s your favorite piece?
7. What’s the oldest thing you own?
Before I sold the antique phone to my cousin for the bookstore they own, that was it. But I have in my possession a couple gold pocket watches, one of which was my great grandfather’s.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
We had another cool morning today and I am yearning so hard for those Fall days. I can barely find words to express how ready I am. Though I teetered on that line between holding onto the last tendrils of summer, I know now that I am ready for Fall. I want pumpkins and to put out my cute decorations. I want to mow the lawn less and open the screen door in the kitchen. I know Spring is typically a time for new things but I get that feeling in Fall. I want new valences for my kitchen; I feel compelled to paint. It’s time, it’s time.