1. Have you ever done a spur-of-the-moment road trip?
Not really. When I was in college, we would drive around here and sometimes into the neighboring towns. It was usually at night. I remember one night, right after we saw Fight Club in the theater, we drove northwest towards Havana. We stopped at a gas station and took a photo with the guy working late and we bought junk candy and stuff. We also stopped by a feed store and took a pic in front of a gigantic fake cow. On the way back, blasting music, we lifted an orange traffic cone from an intersection. No one else was on those roads; just us college kids, messing around. Also, I kept that cone for a good four years before getting rid of it.
2. If time and money wasn’t an issue, what roads would you choose to travel and how long would you be gone?
Hmm, well for one, I’d love to drive the Hana Highway on Maui. My parents went once and I know it is super scenic. I have been to two Hawaiian islands but not that one. And does the Great Wall of China count as a road? LOL. I would definitely like to walk there at least.
3. When you go on a long road trip, what snacks and beverages do you take? Do you pack a picnic? Does the back seat turn into a nest?
The few times we’ve gone on really long trips, yes, the back seat becomes a cozy place. We were driving to New York a couple summers ago but we had the kids all set up with blankets and pillows and devices and coloring books. Snacks are usually limited to thing (for kids) that don’t make too much of a mess. So non-greasy things like Goldfish and whatnot. I like to drink water in the car but also, hate stopping to go to the bathroom.
4. Please tell us about something interesting or strange you have seen on the side of the road.
Does the cow I mentioned above count? LOL. This thing was huge, like 20 feet in the air. There’s also a house on the way out of town that has a ceramic green dinosaur that’s probably about as big as a small car, just hanging out by their mailbox.
5. Who does the driving when you head out in the car? Do you stop in the rest areas along our Interstate highways when you have to use the facilities, or do you choose a fast-food restaurant or gas station instead?
Ash and I usually will swap out after a time. I’m typically better for morning driving and he, afternoon. We’re probably driving to Chicago in December and he wants to do it in one fell swoop, meaning we’d leave at like, 4 am and that’d be on me! We do typically stop at rest areas if it’s a quick one but if we need food, we’ll choose a Cracker Barrel for dual purpose.
6. Please share something with us about your week so far.
I feel like this week has been kind of crazy. Monday I stayed until 5 because I took an hour lunch to eat with my old boss, then yesterday I had training from 3-5 and then went to the store. Today should be less crazy, thankfully. Though my middle is on a field trip and has to be picked up by 6ish. Tomorrow, I have an interview after 4 at the other college in town. So yeah, nuts! But Saturday is free and then Sunday, beach!