1. On Saturday July 4th America celebrates her Independence. (If you’re not American, feel free to answer in terms of a national holiday in your own country) What is your favorite thing about the day? Your favorite food on the 4th? Do you fly a flag at your house? Fireworks-yay or nay? Any special plans this year?
I think I like the feel of a summer holiday: the fact that we all come together to do fun things like eat, and see pretty colors (if you’re into fireworks) and about the fact that we honestly live in the best country there is. (My opinion, strictly speaking.)
We do not have a flag but it’s not out of lack of patriotism, just sheer laziness.
If it were up to me, we’d always eat hamburgers and hot dogs, french fires, and potato salad. That’s a fourth of July meal! Oh, and beer. Lots of it.
And yes to firework! I love them and we’re probably/maybe going out to a friend’s house in the country to shoot some off.
2. What’s something you recently got for free?
When I attended the faculty panel for the incoming athletes, they compensated me with a really nice dri-fit polo shirt. It won’t fit me of course, but Ash can wear it. I guarantee if retails for at least 70 bucks.
3. The Statue of Liberty, The Liberty Bell, The Washington Monument, or Mount Rushmore…how many on the list have you seen? What is your favorite historical American monument, and why?
Yes to one and three, no to the others. I would love to see the Liberty Bell and actually, I’d like to follow the path they took in the movie National Treasure (sue me: it’s the only good Nic Cage movie.) I like the history of any old American building; it would be cool to explore Boston and other founding cities in the Northeast.
4. When it comes to the news are you more ostrich (stick my head in the sand) or hog (they have room to take a whole lot in)? How much attention have you given the recent news reports regarding ISIS and the acts of terror they’ve perpetrated against those who do not share their beliefs or support their cause?
I go in cycles of being attentive to it but eventually, I get so sick of everyone choosing sides and arguing that it makes it so overwhelming. I think news stations sensationalize everything. Just give me straight up facts. The whole ISIS thing is dumb; I’m always appalled people are so cruel.
5. We’re talking plain ice cream…vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry? Choose one.
I like all three but if we’re talking a hot summer day? Strawberry, hands down.
6. Share a song you love containing the word ‘stars’ in the lyrics or title?
I couldn’t find an official video but here’s a good one!
7. Describe and/or say goodbye to June with an acrostic.
Jury is still out on whether or not this month was a success
unless you consider tanning, pool fun, and lots of beer successful
nothing compares to the early summer though
ending is sweet sorrow but now onto July
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Well, my husband is recovering from his minor surgery today and my parents get here in two days. My house is a mess, my kids have been very energetic this week, and men are needy when they hurt. SO, my days just keep getting crazier and crazier. On top of that, work has been nuts too. I keep thinking there will be an end to the madness but it just keeps on keepin’ on. Bring me July 4th and beer!