- I’m already dreaming of summer and the beach
- But I have to lose some weight before I go putting on a bathing suit
- The neighbors who are moving seem to a.) smoke in their house and b.)put handicap type accessories all over that house so it’ll be interesting to see how quickly or to whom it sells
- Can I just drink coffee all day?
- Where the hell is the sun?
- Why is it not summer yet?
- I am going to – without fail – use the elliptical tonight. I feel pudgy and blah and I know it is partly just January but also, I have just not been doing enough, physically
- Screw you, January
- My parents, sister and Justin are at Disney today and keep sending me photos. Um, now I want to run away and take a vacation!
- I took this essential oil blend this morning that is supposed to curb appetite but for some reason, I feel hungrier than normal. I have taken it before so I don’t know why today, it had this effect!
- You’ll have to excuse me but I really don’t understand the appeal of Colin Firth
- That said, I kind of want to see that Kingsmen movie
- Has anyone seen Snowpiercer? Ash wants to watch it but every night, I am just too tired.
1. American Idol is back for it’s 14th season. Are you watching? Have you ever watched? If you were to audition for the show (or were made to audition), what song would you sing?
I haven’t watched it in quite some time but I did for a while. It was only entertaining to me once they’d narrowed it down to the final, what, 14? Most people like to watch all the incredibly bad auditions but not me.
If I were going to sing, I think I would probably pick something country, but I don’t know what. I’m not very good at singing. LOL.
2. Mark Twain is quoted as saying, “If it’s your job to eat a frog, it’s best to do it first thing in the morning. And if it’s your job to eat two frogs, it’s best to eat the biggest one first.”
So when did you last have to ‘eat a frog?‘ Or two? How’d that work out?
Personally, I enjoy eating my frogs first thing in the morning anyway; that’s how I run my life. Can’t remember the last time I had to eat the bigger of the two; every day is a balance of things I have to do and I tend to put off the larger tasks, so I guess that is where I stray from dear Twain’s advice.
3. If you were going on safari, what’s the number one animal you’d want to see?
4. January 21st is National Granola Bar Day. I know. Do you like granola bars? Chewy or crunchy? Your favorite flavor? How about regular granola? Let’s exhaust this topic in honor of the ‘holiday’, okay?
Sure. I buy the basic Quaker ones for the kids’ lunches but I prefer those Nature’s valley ones; peanut butter.
5. If only__________________________________.
I had the motivation to get things done today.
6. You can add one item to your bedroom. What will it be? Keep it family friendly please.
LOL @ family friendly. I hadn’t even gone there until that was said! ;) I guess I’d go with new carpet, which is honestly not that far off, if we can get past a few other life hurdles here soon.
7. What is one thing you’ve enjoyed about winter thus far? If it’s not winter in your corner of the globe, what season is it, and what is something you’ve enjoyed about whatever season it happens to be?
Oh is it winter? Florida doesn’t know. No no, not true. It has been cool. I guess if I had to choose, I have enjoyed NOT thinking about the heat… or the weather that much at all. Most days are so mild I don’t think one way or the other about the temperature.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I am having a really tough time getting back into the swing of work. I realize I was only off for three days but all the things I jammed into those days makes me feel like I have been away a lifetime. I know I already wrote about this but I am in awe of my complete lack of motivation. I sit here with my work windows open, the cursor blinking, and yet, I cannot break away from my internal dialogue long enough to really get going. I had the new Starbucks flat white today, which is definitely more caffeinated than my usual latte and yet, I am still sort of tired, fuzzy-brained. I think I might take a quick walk and try to convince myself that stuff HAS to get done. I’m staring down a long list of projects and it is intimidating and that’s what is keeping me stagnant. Any tips and tricks for making yourself work?
- Back to work after what feels like an eternity. I’m not really on the ball just yet; coffee still trying to work.
- Was actually five minutes late today because although I put all the kids’ blankets and extra jackets, etc for daycare right by the door, I STILL left them right there… and had to go back.
- North Florida is back to doing that thing where it’s 35 in the morning and 70 by the afternoon. I kind of hate that. It’s hard to get up in the morning and get all bundled and by the time I leave for work, it’s hot. And let me tell you where it was hot: South Florida. Holy Jeebus, it was disgusting. Humid and icky. And by God if didn’t have a mosquito land on me at the cemetery. Not sorry I moved away from there, that’s for sure.
- I really don’t have a ton of random for you today; I’m happy that I am back in my office where I can think and take care of both boring and necessary things.
- I also got the writing bug yesterday and picked up where I left off in my Clint/Lila story. You know some day, I am going to complete an actual novel and though no one may ever read it, that’ll be amazing.
- When I was working on that story, I decided to check in on my last published Batman fanfic. Out of curiosity, I thought I might peruse what people have been writing lately. I am always amazed at the amount of time people put into writing fanfic. I should never underestimate it though; you know what (stupid piece of crap) book was based on fanfic right? That dumb 50 Shades. And now she’s an effing millionaire!
- Look, I like romance and all but I just don’t buy into that story. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again.
- I’m going through a Jimmy Johns phase, born out of sheer laziness. I keep forgetting my lunch and I have no interest in leaving campus so, JJ’s to the rescue!
- I realize this is incredibly boring but I had to publish SOMETHING. I’m out!
It has been a while since I a.) blogged and b.) went to work. LOL. OK OK, it was last Wednesday but since I traveled that night and then all Thursday for my grandmother’s funeral (then back again Friday), I feel like I have been a way a long time. PLUS, we’re all off for MLK Day so I just feel far far behind.
Saturday, I tried to reintegrate myself into my home. Everyone did just fine without me and the house stayed pretty clean so it was as if my absence was not a huge deal. We had soccer at 11 and went to Sonny’s after. Oh, Ash had run a 15k in the AM also. The afternoon was nice and I kept remembering that I was going out that night, though I kept thinking I had all this time to relax. I met my friends at a sushi place and that was pretty darn nice. It’s always great to get out with adults, especially when you have three kids!
On Sunday, I was content to hang around all morning, though Ash had a card tournament he left for at noon. The kids and I hit Publix then Roboto for Japanese before naps. I graciously took them to Bass Pro to look at the fish and then Target just to kill time. Ash got home just as I was dishing up dinner and then we spent the evening watching football then anime.
I’m ready to go back to work, honestly. I need normal! But we have plans to go out for dollar tacos today and then I have to go to the dentist; fun!
Alright alright alright! Bands/songs with animals. I can totally do this!
First up, Motorhead! Nothing explicit but it is hard-hitting.
This is In The Year of the Wolf.
Here is one I have posted before but love. This is Capital Cities – Kangaroo Court
Another one that is SO bad but also amusing. Big and Rich would like you to save a horse and ride a cowboy.
And this one, also about a horse but because I was just listening to old America the other day.
1. What’s your best piece of advice for a newly married couple? I’m asking for a friend.
I would remind them that being married is actually a challenge and that you must always be mindful of that. Don’t forget to keep trying, listening, and compromising. It’s worked for me!
2. Before we’re too far into the new year I wanted to post a question Teresa submitted during the December giveaway. Teresa blogs over at Being Refined as Silver, so everyone go say hi.
Teresa asks, “What were you doing on December 31st, 1999?” and ” Did you or your family make preparations for Y2K?”
I was at home in Orlando and I remember thinking how scar it would be if everything fell apart. We didn’t do anything specific because my computer friends told me nothing was going to happen. But I woke the next morning, thankful, and had grits and eggs. Later that day, I drove to Sarasota to spend time with my then in-the-works boyfriend, who is now my husband!
3. According to Global Language Monitor, the most used word of 2014 isn’t a word. It’s the heart emoji. Huh? How can something that’s not a word be the most used word, but I digress. What do you think was your most used word in 2014?
That’s a tough one; probably one of my kids’ names because Lord knows I am on them enough!
4. Speaking of words, it’s that time again. Time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words they’d like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, and general uselessness) in 2015. You can read more about the decision making process here, but this year’s top vote getters are-
bae (before anyone else), polar vortex, hack, skill set, swag, foodie, curate/curated, friend-raising, enhanced interrogation, cra-cra (as in crazy), takeaway, and -nation (a suffering sports suffix)
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you’d like to add?
I know this wasn’t in the list but I HATE when people say YOLO. It’s carpe diem for stupid people and when I hear it, I am reminded how many stupid people are out there.
5. January is National Hot Tea Month? Are you a fan? Do you like flavored teas? How do you take your tea? Have a favorite cup or teapot? How many cups of tea do you consume in a given day?
Oh yeah, I am in. But at night only. LOL. Coffee in the AM and tea in the PM. I love Earl Grey, Lemon Zinger, and green, and I take them all plain. No milk or sugar but sometimes, honey in the lemon. I do have a favorite tea mug but I’m in my office with no pics. :(
6. Whatever happened to__________________________________?
…that Malaysia flight? Did they determine that it is lost and gone forever? Did they find wreckage? So many news stories get overshadowed by all the other crud going on.
I want to read quite a few but Lauren Dane’s Broken Open is up next and I am pretty darn excited to read it. I’d also like to read something more serious but don’t know what.
- My plans are in place for southward travel; I’ll head down Wednesday after work and drive with my dad and sister Thursday morning to my grandmother’s funeral. We’ll probably come back in the evening and I will drive back home some time Friday. This works out for the best because I actually get two days of admin leave for this. Plus, Ash won’t have to drop out of his race Saturday morning.
- I am fairly surprised things are coming together so well; I even found someone to cover my Thursday class. Because I am superstitious, I am waiting for the bad to show up. LOL. I guess the “bad’ will be having to attend the actual funeral. I HATE funerals and don’t handle them very well. I’ve always freaked out about them. I remember my grandfather’s funeral in December ’07; I managed to stay very detached but it was not a fun time.
- On a happier note, my newish neighbors – the ones who moved into my awesome former neighbours’ house – put the home up for sale, already! I think what happened was that their family moved them here but it turns out that they are just too old to maintain it. The weird thing to me is that the story goes that the family moved them here to be closer but their family NEVER visits. They were all there the first week, putting up a fence and fixing the yard, but then we haven’t seen them since. Eh, good riddance. They are apparently huge smokers and when we play outside in our front yard, it stinks. Crazy, right?
- I bought a pair of Maui Island loafers about a year ago on ebay. They were brand new, just not the right size for this woman’s daughter, so the story goes. Well, I didn’t look too closely at all the details because when I got them, though new, they also reeked of smoke. So badly that I could not even wear them. So, I put them out in my garage on top of the dryer and never looked back. The other day, I was cleaning off the top of the dryer and decided to smell them. Sure enough, they now smell like new-ish shoes and leather. Magical!
- Because I have so much stuff to do soon, I am trying to pace myself and just sort of be in the now. If I start planning too much, I think I might have a breakdown.
- I have to get some work done now but happy Tuesday!
This weekend just flew by; we were super busy. On Saturday, Elliot had a 9 AM soccer game and Isaac had a 10, so Ash took Elliot, I stayed home then took Isaac to his with Baby and then when Ash showed up, I took Elliot back to his field for his 11 o’clock game and Ash and Isaac showed up about 5 minutes into that one. It was crazy! I just wish they could both be at the same park but Elliot is now in a league where they play on larger fields. So yeah we did that then napped then went to the store. Ash took Isaac to the doctor because long ago – back in late September, he had gotten a splinter but it was so deep in there and he was spazzing out so we were unable to get it out. I always figured those things worked themselves out but his calloused over then just days ago, began hurting him again. It’s always something!
That said, my grandmother passed away last night. It had been a long time coming so it’s not a surprise. but now I have to make plans for getting down there and making sure Ash can handle the kids at home (I’m not dragging everyone). It’s crazy and I am not sure how it is all going to work but I am sure it WILL. Just another thing I have to make it through.
Sorry for cutting this short but it’s still crazy at work. I’ll be around…
- This has seriously been A WEEK. I have worked at the University in the capacity of First year Comp assistant for eight years and this has been, by far, the busiest start to the semester. I had very little time to eat or even go to the bathroom; every time I did, five more kids showed up at my door. It was constant.
- It’s also cold here. I mean, I live in Florida and it didn’t get above 40 yesterday! I know most people think Miami or Disney World when they hear Florida but we’re a very diverse state, I promise.
- Speaking of that, we’re taking a little weekend trip to Jacksonville in March. Ash is running a 15k and we’ll plan to do some other stuff. I want to go to Amelia Island’s beaches because I hear you can find sea glass there.
- I have a student in my class who claims to hate Christmas music. While I respect his right to have an opinion, I think he is wrong when he says it sucks. No, sir, you suck!
- After the longest two days, we went out to dinner last night and had a great time: pizza, beer, ice cream after; all my kids behaved and it was just NICE. You know, sometimes things come together and there’s a perfect moment with the people you love.
I didn’t take many this week so here are some Pinterest things and some songs I have been blasting.
- So I did a thing last night, an amazing thing. Instead of falling asleep on the couch for a couple hours then waking for one, then trying to fall back to sleep, we got in bed at 10 and were asleep by 10:30. And you know what? I feel amazing today!
- We both felt so good that we made eggs and bacon and I got everything together and we left on time and oh, what a morning!
- Ok, I realize I may sound a wee bit chipper this morning and you might resent me. To balance all this glee, I’ll tell you that I have to get up in front of about 150 people today. I am sure some of you are quaking in fear now.
- It’s cold today and supposed to be colder; welcome, Winter! Tomorrow it is supposed to be 23 in the AM; brrrr. Thankfully I am teaching in this building this semester. A year ago, I was across campus in Spring and it was a very brisk walk for this Florida girl each day.
- Let me ask your opinion on something: I have a group of friends I have known a long time. Over the years, we have drifted here and there, had more kids, added activities, etc, but we always manage to get together. Well, I got an invite on FB for – let’s call her T – T’s birthday/Girls’ Night Out a couple days before New Years. Cool cool; join. NYE came and went and I saw photos on Facebook of all of them together. And I have to wonder why Ash and I did not get invited. (This is a somewhat moot point because we actually already had plans with a different set of friends.) I get the GNO invites but I have this feeling that they all surmise that because we still have a baby/young child, we cannot go out together. But I can’t help but be hurt by it; they could at least ASK. Especially given that we actually did find a babysitter so we could have gone. Do you have experience in this kind of thing?
- I guess I should just be thankful they still invite me to Girls’ night, right? Sigh. /endrant.
- I am really finding a lot of joy in this creative journaling I have gotten back into. It is reminding me of how much art I used to do when I was younger. I was good at drawing and I enjoyed it but at some point, I just couldn’t seem to get anything on the paper. I’ve taken to looking up drawings of items so I can copy them. I wonder if I copy long enough, I will regain that ability to recreate an image.
- I am also – finally – back to reading (I hope.) It had been a while and I actually left in the middle of a book! I took a bath last night and started up again. I thought I might lose the will but no, it was there: that desire to read and jump feet first into a story.
- The big TA meeting is in an hour so I have to go and prep. I wish you all a wonderful Tuesday!
Yes, vacation truly is over. I am ok with this, though I have a literal ton of work to accomplish. However, I will feel pretty happy about said accomplishments. The last few days of my time off were drizzly rain and icky warm muggy air. But it’s cool today and will get cooler throughout the work. I have a new fuzzy blanket to try out so bring it on, Mother Nature. Makes me wonder if we’ll have another super cold winter. Last year, it took a little while to get started but then got so cold, we actually had a snow day off school/work! This year, it got cooler earlier, then tapered off.
Our last few days consisted of: buying washi tape, cleaning my house, eating hibachi, napping, walking around stores to get out of the house, and watching movies. In essence, we truly did rest. Those two weeks off work are such a strange Twilight Zone type time; we don’t do things “normally” and though it is nice, I always yearn for the routine.
I’ve started “bullet journaling”, though I put it in quotes because I have not done the ACTUAL calendar/key within my book. This analog form of record-keeping/planning seems like such a good idea but I am afraid to abandon my phone’s calendar so quickly. Oh… that. My phone hath died. I had a Galaxy S4 and the power button is jacked. Sure, I could replace it. It costs about 6 dollars and I have already disassembled my phone to see where it would go but… I don’t know. I put my SIM card into Ash’s old Note 2 and if I can get a case for it, I think it’ll last until August when I am eligible for an upgrade. I really don’t think they make these things to last longer than a year but as you know, contracts are two! What a racket.
As per the theme, here is a song that is “new to me”. Though I was aware of its presence, I basically only stopped to listen to it over this break and well, here it is.
And I’ve given in to the Taylor Swift influence so here is:
Plus, that one has model Sean O’Pry in it.