- I actually turned down some grading work because I have just been so overwhelmed that when I dropped off finished stuff, I was so damned relieved to be done. I just couldn’t bear to take on any more.
- I feel like a huge burden has been lifted from my shoulders; I still have work to do tomorrow before 5 but for now, I can take a breather.
- I’m writing this on Monday night and Bugsy is on. I have a.) always been into the mob and mobsters and b.) been fascinated by Warren Beatty and Annette Benning. He was such a player until he met her. You have to give props to a woman who can put an end to a man’s gallivanting ways.
- I have decided that I could go the rest of my life only eating breakfast… for all meals. I’m in love with it.
- Seeing as how it is Fat Tuesday, I should be eating pancakes today.
- But we’re eating pizza tonight.
- I’m taking the next few days in stride; Ash is gone all tomorrow for work (will be home later at night), then my neighbors head out Wednesday (moving), then my boys and hubs leave Thursday. A week full of upheaval.
- But on that note, I will have Thursday all to myself. Granted, I will be cleaning for my mom’s arrival Friday but still. Whatever will I do with myself?
- Who am I kidding? I’ll spend the night watching dumb TV and browsing the web.
- So I have been coerced into being the alternate for an on-going Bunco game. I know very little about how the actual game works; I know it’s about women getting together to gossip and drink more than anything. A woman Ash works with has a group but with any largish group of people, there’s usually one person who can’t make it. So that’s where I come in. At least this time – as opposed to last time – I have about a week’s notice.
- You see, I am truly an introvert (though I can be very chatty) so I need time to get used to the idea of being forced to socialize. I only know the one woman so I’ll need to be in the right frame of mind to enter into a situation with some unknowns.
- I didn’t have class last week because we did individual conferences and then we have no class Thursday or next week for Spring Break. Today is the only day I have to go teach amidst all that. Do I want to? Hell no. But I must. Off to prepare; see y’all on Wednesday!
- It would honestly be a miracle if I felt rested at any given time
- That said, Baby Girl might be rounding the bend on her sickness, THANK GOD.
- Ok, let me throw something actually random: yesterday, Ash and I were watching the 3D channel and it was a show about NASCAR. And for about 30 minutes, I dwelled on what I thought to be an original idea: a romance novel about a pit crew guy. I was SO excited until I looked it up and of course, it’s been done. BUT, I think I may try to break into this niche realm.
- I shared this on Facebook but check this out. My mind was seriously blown. Pixar movies all take place in same realm
- Elliot has decided that he wants to eat breakfast at school. Can I tell you just how much this helps our mornings? Usually, it goes something like this: I tell him he needs to eat, he complains he’s not hungry, I harp on him, he says he can’t decide what to eat, we’re almost ready to leave and he goes on about how starving he is but has yet to pick something. Usually then I end up shoving a cereal bar in his hand and he chokes it down against his will. This way he has a different mind-set about breakfast. Plus, he goes in there with a friend and he’ll eat anything if his mind is on other stuff.
- When we met that couple on Valentine’s Day, we found out that the girl had been stuck on the same level of Candy Crush as I am: 245. But now she’s beaten it and I am still stuck! The annoying thing is how close I keep getting and still failing. Kind of demoralizing.
- I left my coffee travel mug in the office yesterday so I was forced to get Starbucks. I am working my way through a venti, which I normally don’t do. I am a little jittery already; lol. And I have eight student conferences back to back for the next 3 hours!!!
- I just said yes to more grading. Am I insane?
- Ok since this is going downhill fast, I’ll throw you some Man Candy because, well, why not?
I actually never thought I’d see a day come when I was pressed for time to write here. I’m not giving up; not every week will be like this. I am just over-committed on various tasks right now. I pace myself fairly well when it comes to being super busy but sometimes, I just have to stop and play a mindless game for five minutes instead of use my brain. But otherwise, every minute of my day is full.
Last night, I made the kids and I dinner while Ash went out and then we went to Costco for essentials; you know, toilet paper, paper plates, and Goldfish. Got home, put the baby to bed then started the boys down that road. We read books and gave hugs, said our goodnights, then I got on the couch to watch me some Olympics. I was feeling fine, not even all that tired. But right around 9 PM, a horrible dizziness came upon me, accompanied by a gurgling stomach and nausea. It was so odd; I didn’t eat anything that may have triggered it. And today, I feel absolutely normal. My guess is that I had a touch of Elliot’s 24 hour affliction. Thank GOD I feel better today; I ain’t got time for that.
There has been a guy missing from town for about two weeks. It’s a sketchy situation in that he told people he was a college kid but he wasn’t enrolled. And his mother said he recently graduated. Anyway, he went missing and today, they’ve found a body. It’s not looking good for that guy.
Motivation evades me; deadlines push me to keep plugging away but really, my mind is just not in it this week. I stare down stacks of papers to be graded and then I turn back to another computer window. I play a quick game of Candy Crush, I write a paragraph in my blog. I look at photos of my kids, then go back to grading, slightly energized by my brief respite.
Cookies. I want cookies. And cakes. Chocolate and strawberry and the kind with fluffy lemon frosting. I want key lime pie and boston cream pie donuts. And I don’t know why I want so many sweets. That’s not really like me. Perhaps this is my way of dealing with the overwhelming amount of work. And with that, I am off to do it, but will be dreaming about huge custard filled donuts.
- SO, I had one of those bad mommy mornings. I couldn’t remember if Isaac was going to eat at his field trip to Wakulla Springs (as they always have done in the past) or if he needed a lunch. So I packed something that could sit in the room at daycare until tomorrow in case he was eating there. Well, turns out he had to bring something and I didn’t pack a drink. So I had to bum one from the daycare and he’ll have to eat room temperature spaghetti-Os. I guess it could be worse but I am usually way more on the ball.
- I blame this fail on being sick. I had my typical sore throat yesterday but it never went away. And as the day wore on, I got worse and worse: body aches, headache, etc. I left a little early and took a long bath, reading Wild on my kindle and just trying not to feel like battered crap. I still managed to make everyone’s dinners and get them in bed, though I was pretty cranky. You know, moms can’t get sick.
- The boys are at the stage where they can play just fine together and generally get along but they bicker over stupid crap. And will randomly pick at each other and I had had enough around 8:15 last night. I sent them to bed with no book or bath, which greatly upset Isaac. I hope I have sent the message loud and clear this time.
- I want to believe I did, but they were at it again this morning over their dinosaur egg oatmeal. Le sigh.
- As I was getting Isaac’s Valentines stuff together last night, I realized I have to make a return trip to Target: I told Ell to pick out the bag of candy he wanted for his V-Day party and he chose conversation hearts… in Spanish! I can either take them back or have him tell his teacher he wanted to be diverse…. YEAH, I’ll take them back.
- I have deep-seated moral issues with this holiday anyway so don’t even get me started.
- Due to my less-than-stellar feeling today, I have no interest in teaching. But my students will be happy I am canceling Thursday. Well, maybe. They still have work to do.
- I have a coupon for a dollar off a Starbucks latte after 2 PM; I have that on my to-do list today. Ok, gotta prep for class. Here, have a dude:
- You know what time I got in bed last night? 8:30! Ash was super tired so I finished folding clothes, took the dogs out, and got under the covers. I didn’t actually sleep until about 10 but still; that’s a good night’s rest.
- Before falling asleep, I finished reading a novel in three parts by Kresley Cole, who normally writes paranormal romance but this, THIS… Lordy. She wrote about this Russian enforcer and dear God, it was intense.
- Now I am back to reading Wild and though it’s good, I don’t get through much at a time.
- I drank a St. Pauli Girl last night because my grandpa always drank that. It wasn’t very good; in fact, it lacked any sort of bite or… weight. I like to feel my beer, if that makes sense. It was almost like drinking slightly alcoholic water. This makes me sad because… Grandpa.
- The weather got all funky here. It is gray, as it has been for almost an entire month, but it’s not cold. Today is 63/78. Florida, you’re drunk. Go home.
- A Ziggy Marley song came onto my SiruisXM Jimmy Buffet radio station this morning and I had an instant reaction: I yearned to be on a sunny beach. It was a little shocking how immediate my response was: my brain flashed me an image of St. George Island and I felt that undeniable happiness I get from being on a chair in the sun, the gulf’s waves lapping the shore, birds calling overhead. Only a few more months perhaps. We went for the first time last April – April 13th looks like:It was clearly very sunny because look at Elliot’s face; lol.
- I don’t know BG (Baby Girl) will do on that drive, which is about an hour and a half. Last time we took a longer drive, she was unhappy to say the least.
- I have to go teach now, because that’s what I do. But then I get to come back and do other things. Having multiple jobs is stressful. I need a cookie. Or more coffee. BUT, they’re putting a Dunkin Donuts right by my building. So there’s that!
So while Stacy works out her home buying situation, she’s got the linkup on hold. But why not still use bullets? I like bullets.
- I helped a senior get into a couple courses and to thank me, he gave me a couple coupons to a place my kids love to eat. I’m not that fond of it but that was such a kind thing he did. Some days I see things like that and am reminded that not everyone/everything in this world is crappy.
- About an hour later, a girl came in to drop a class and get into another and was completely rude. The window for doing so is passed but she assumed I would just do it for her. She didn’t ask nicely; only assumed I would help her no matter how she spoke to me. I don’t know if she thought I was younger than I am but she certainly didn’t respect my age or authority. Some students…
- BUT, I got an email on Sunday from a student from my last online course that was so touching, I couldn’t even believe it. He was a shy kid with no self-confidence, he said, but my encouragement gave him the strength he needed to succeed in class and in life. THOSE emails are why I do this, guys.
- I am rereading A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Some day, I really would like to hike part of the Appalachian Trail. Though, he does include some bits about people being murdered. But, the numbers are really low. And I would never walk it alone!
- I ran four miles on Sunday and I am still kind of sore today. It feels pretty good to get back to it though, even if I will half to take another two weeks off after the surgery. The run sucked pretty much the entire time, but it reminded me why I like running: no matter how bad my life is, running is worse!
- It’s another gray rainy day here in North Florida and I am over this garbage. They say it’ll be cold again once the rain moves on; not excited about that either. I’m telling you: it gets cold and I don’t want to do a thing. The only reason I stayed in motion yesterday was because we all went to Target soon after getting home, then went out for Mexican. But by 9, I was snoozing on the couch again. However, Baby Girl slept all night so that was pretty awesome.
- Any suggestions as to how to get past that mid-evening slump? If I can somehow push through, I’ll stay up until about 11 and then get more uninterrupted sleep.
- I have to walk across campus now and teach 22 18 year olds how to write an essay that will both baffle and amaze them. Weeeee!
We’re BCS champs, y’all!
- FSU won! We’re it; like, we’re the best! I taught 14 of our players through the last few years and I am proud of those boys. They work hard and they deserve that win. Also, the game was a total nail-biter. But they did it! WE did it! (Here in Tally, we talk about the football team as if we’re on it.)
- I always said, I’d like to see them win while I’m paying them money but since they pay me now, eh, who cares? But I do. I totally do. FSU pays my bills and this bodes well. Oh, and this is our Unconquered statue. Sorry, i am gushing with pride today and yeah, it’s just football but still. Still.
- It’s cold here. Like, really cold. Super cold. A guy in our neighborhood was, for some reason, running sprinklers and he had icicles on his bushes. Weirdo.
- I brought a hat because I walk across campus in about 30 mins but I hate wearing hats because it messed up my hair. And I’m not even that vain.
- I kinda hate and love first days of teaching. It’s all syllabus and ice breakers and all that jazz. But it’s also stressful to pronounce some of these names. I have an International student and well, I have no idea how to pronounce her name!
- I guess I will wing it and hope for the best.
- There are little gnats all throughout this building and it is starting to drive me a little crazy. Come on, my place of employment, do something about this.
- Is it bad I’m already looking forward to the weekend?
- Do you think that men like the ones in romance novels actually exist? Like, the ones I read, the guys are not without character flaws, but they are still men. Real men. I just sort of wonder.
That’s what I’ve got for you. Super busy. Later!
I shouldn’t say I am shocked it’s the end but… I am
- As I reflect back on 2013 I can honestly say that two things stuck out as really awesome: beach trips and having Baby Girl. Otherwise, it felt pretty sucky. However, when putting it in perspective, it’s all pretty good, isn’t it?
- We were watching a show called Buying Hawaii on the Destination America channel and when these people, who had been living in a tent, moved into a cabin that barely had indoor plumbing, I realized just how good we’ve got it. But we also daydreamed of our some-day Hawaiian getaway. It WILL happen.
- On Saturday, both kids wanted oatmeal so I put the kettle on to boil and poured a packet of Dino egg oatmeal into each bowl. Once the kids were eating happily, I went out to the couch but soon after, heard the dreaded crash of porcelain breaking on the floor. Sigh. Isaac had somehow dropped his bowl. (It was the last one I had from Japan at EPCOT too; harumph.)
- The reason this is weird is because later that evening, my parents were hanging out, playing their respective twitch games (i.e. Candy Crush) when they heard a terrible crash. The second shelf in their cabinet gave way and it was the one with all their bowls. My parents have a thing for bowls and sadly, most of them are gone now. Weird though that we each broke bowls that day!
- Being home alone all day with three kids yesterday was… interesting. For the most part they were fine. My boys CAN be decent to each other but they’ve mostly reached the age of baiting each other into getting really angry. You know, “try to catch me”, “you can’t reach me, na na na na na.” That kind of thing. It’s old already.
- I figured out the mystery smell in the house! Turns out is was the rubber on my bathroom rugs. I guess they saw a hot dryer one too many times and the stuff was old and disintegrating. It didn’t look like the bottoms were falling apart but I am guessing the rubber was breaking down, hence, the weird burning type smell. I don’t want to have to get new ones but the old ones are currently in the trash bin.
- I’m trying to get back into the running mode. After the Turkey Trot, I dallied in a few miles here and there but I was so caught up in finishing work and getting all the Christmas stuff done that I just didn’t do much. Ell and I have a race on the 11th so we’re trying to train up some. It is always hard taking that first step into re-implementing this activity into my life but I know I need to. I think I put on a few pounds over the holidays and I feel downright blah.
- SO, coming up: the holiday, going back to work, baby girl turning 5 months, a new semester, and hopefully, 2014 will be a good year for us. Tomorrow, WWTK will cover all things New Years so feel free to stop by!
We now return you to your regularly scheduled program
- My life has been nuts the past few days! On Friday, Ash and I did our normal date day and went for Mexican. I made the mistake of getting margaritas. For one, I haven’t had anything but beer since having the baby. So it’s been a good 15 months since my last liquor drink. I was DONE, let me tell you. I mean, sure, they juice up their frozen margs pretty good and I was feelin’ nice but about halfway through The Hobbit, my stomach started to hurt and my head swam and oh, it took me until Saturday mid-day to feel better. Cheap liquor will do that to you. Not making that mistake again! Dos Equis from here on out!
- On Saturday morning, I managed to finish up Xmas shopping for my mom, sister, and her boyfriend. (Who might be getting officially hitched here soon, if nothing else than to avoid him having to sign up for Obamacare. He can go on my sister’s insurance.)
- Around 1, my friend dropped off her boys so she and her husband and mom could start their Christmas shopping. When she’d mentioned they hadn’t even gone yet, we offered to take them. Ell went to preschool with Peyton but since they live farther out in town, the two don’t go to elementary school together. So it was nice for them to hang out; they’re easy. Parker was the constant watch one; he’s not even potty trained. (Or three yet, for that matter)
- The boys did great until the last 20 or so minutes so I can’t complain. But Isaac skipping nap led to sobbing on the couch and then we found Parker eating crayons right before he stuck his fingers on a hot light bulb. Oh children…
- Sunday morning, I took the kids to the store and prepped food for lunch but didn’t much care about football because I am out of fantasy playoff contention anyway. But Baby Girl had started to have a wee cough the night before and it was progressing throughout the day. By the evening, she had a low grade fever and her cough was pretty icky.
- We put her to sleep and finished Breaking Bad. I am still not sure how I feel about the ending but I suppose it ended in the only way it could. I am glad it’s over for us though; that show stressed me out!
- So yesterday I took Li’ls in to the doctor and they ruled out strep, flu, RSV, and croup. They sent us for a chest xray to rule out pneumonia so it looks like just a cold. Now I don’t usually go freaking out about sick kids but she’s only four and a half months and that cough sounded awful. BUT, I am glad it is just a cold. Ash is home with her today but she’ll probably be good to go tomorrow.
- Someone always gets sick around Christmas and I should just get used to it, you know? I should accept it and work around it as best I can. I mean, I am worried about driving four hours to Orlando and why should I? Last year, though we didn’t have a baby, we drove to Chicago! And it went so smoothly; it was an excellent trip.
- I have a million things to do today at work so I’m out. Glad I could make it back to the blog today though. I’ll be starting to queue up some posts as it gets closer to Christmas.
And for fun, some Christmas season-themed tattoos:
If it’s not one thing, it’s another
- It’s already one of those days: we have a random phantom smell in our house, I spilled Isaac’s yogurt drink when we got to daycare, and I am all flustered but have a ton of things to do today, including a doc appointment for Baby D in an hour.
- So the weird smell: kinda smells like burning hair. I first smelled it on Sunday and it was concentrated to this area in my hallway. This is good in one way because it’s not near an outlet or anything else. So I am assuming it is in the A/C ducts or the crawlspace. The funky thing about it is that is seems to be moving. This morning, it’s more in our back bathroom and not in the hallway at all. What I am worried about is that it may be rats. My neighbours recently ousted a whole nest from their shed. What if they’re now in my attic-type area?
- I also hope it isn’t some kind of smoldering wiring up there; our new insulation is flame retardant.
- Or it might be some wounded animal, limping all over our crawl space. I went home after the dr. and it smelled in the kitchen but nowhere else. UGH.
- Oh, also? Baby girl gained 2 pounds since her last appointment but she is still under weight. Doc says start her on rice cereal but that’s too early! All my kids were small, granted, but now I am all stressed.
- A conversation between myself and my sister: ME: I bough the boys camo hats. HER: Camel hats? For hump day? ME: No, camo hats… for HUNT day. LOL? Guess you had to be there.
- On Saturday, I found a 10 dollar bill on the ground when I was at the mall.
- I would really like that kind of luck to show up in other areas of my life.
- What I really need is a “snow day” for my life. Just one. Just ooonnnee day for meeeee.