- The Master by Kresley Cole is out today and, having read the first seven chapters that she spoiled earlier, I cannot stop reading now.
- But I have student conferences from nine to ten and about sixty papers to grade, as well as two letters of recommendation to get through. Ugh! Why can’t I just read all day? It’s dark and rainy and the perfect condition for couch lounging, blankets, tea, and this here book.
- Since this is RANDOM Tuesday, I want to hearken back to Friday, where the younger kids had their V-Day parties. Isaac’s valentines never made it home. He said he ‘”lost them” but I’m guessing he ate all the candy and threw the paper away. Meanwhile, the majority of kids in Dakota’s class are only children so their gifts were straight off Pinterest: printed little tags with pun-ny statements. I taped rubber bracelets to hologram pet valentines that Isaac picked out. Welcome to three kids everyone!
- A bunch of people I know and one of my good friends all went and saw stupid Fifty Shades on Sunday. I saw it on Facebook. I am not mad I didn’t get an invite; I have probably been so vocal over my hatred of it they figured I wasn’t going. But what it reminded me is how repressed some of them are. They’ll giggle and chatter on about BDSM and what little they know of it and probably wish their husbands paid them that much attention. Ok, that was mean. But still… UGH.
- I bit my lip the other day at lunch and now it is all irritated. I used to get mouth sores from stress all the time but the multivitamin has quelled that. But if I bite the inside of my mouth, I will get some kind of sore. It’s super irritating!
- There’s this cool thing our local “museum” (i.e. natural preserve type zoo) does where you register to go at night and see the animals then. It sounds awesome but it’s this Saturday and the menfolk will be camping. Since I will be alone (save Baby, asleep) I’d like to do something for me. Like, something selfish and guilt-pleasure-ish. Secretly hoping Magic Mike is on TV and I can watch it on mute. LOL. I don’t care if it’s bad; they’re so pretty.
- Well, let’s move onto the Tuesday Chat prompt
Dance like no one is watching. Who are you when no one is watching?
Funny that this should be the prompt, as I kind of already mentioned. I’m a geek when I’m alone. I want to watch something on TV that I love, like Batman or Bones or Hobbit and nerd out over it. I’m a bookworm and a romantic and a cup of hot coffee under the blankets type. But I’m also the crank up Luke Bryan and get my house clean type. I’m introspective; I’ll write in my journal and try to analyze what is going on in my life and how I feel about it. When I find myself alone, I like to stop and really think about my life. With three kids and a very busy schedule, it’s really nice sometimes to slow down and be quiet… and think.
- Well, today has started off MUCH better than yesterday, that’s for sure! I think the sun may even shine today. Shocker!
- Elliot has to do a project for school and he can choose a minority, woman, native american, etc. We’ve chosen Dragging Canoe, a Cherokee chieftain known for his extraordinary bravery. Ash is 1/8 Cherokee, which makes Ell 1/16. Pretty sure this is our obvious choice then. He can then learn his ancestry at the same time! I looked for books in the campus libraries and found all of… one. I’ll go get it later and let him pick and choose his info. These projects are always fun but also painstaking.
- We had to have a Come to Jesus talk with him recently about supposed behavior issues and that C in English and I tell you, he’s doing better now. We can’t always get a great teacher and he has to learn that. I told him how my 5th grade teacher was so mean and she didn’t make learning fun at all. So to get past that, I worked on me. I put myself in direct competition with the smartest kid in the class, Michael Cruz. Granted, I was also an all-A student but he finished tests before me so the challenge was on. I had to beat him to the finish AND still get all As. It is what kept me going that year.
- I have some reading and class prep to do this morning but I am feeling distracted. My brain is thinking about Indian war chiefs, abandoned malls, and old restaurants we no longer can visit. Remember Steak and Ale? I used to love going there for special occasions; it was kind of dark and fancy-looking. Then again, when I was a kid, I thought Red Lobster was fancy.
- We’re considering going to Carrabba’s for Valentine’s day. I actually don’t ever want to eat Italian, let alone eat it at a restaurant but I will, because Ash likes it. But I can’t figure out WHY I no longer like that kind of food. It could be because it makes me feel too full or maybe because most dishes are too rich. Maybe a nice chicken marsala wouldn’t be too bad.
- I had to make a call to the vet and I realize that I never say who I am, but I introduce myself as “Todd’s mom”, because they all know Todd. How crazy.
- It’s almost 9 AM and I haven’t finished my coffee; this is entirely unlike me. Maybe I am learning to temper myself, slow down, enjoy.
And the Tuesday chat prompt:
I think; therefore I have a headache. Suffer from over-thinking? Guilty of the thinking much? Or, just.. .meh.
Yes! I do over-think and I it causes me to second-guess my instincts and my confidence and this is not a good thing at all. I over-think how I am going to get everything done or what some random thing could possibly mean. I sometimes wish I were not so observant of everything because it drives me nuts!
With that, I leave you. I have to go teach and then I’m going out to lunch. Have a good Tuesday!
Time to do that random thang
- Man, what a Superbowl! I said this yesterday: I don’t normally favor a side but I did want the Pats to win this time. But really, all I ever want is a good game. If the SB is a blow-out, I feel cheated. The commercials were pretty good too, though that Allstate ad about the kid dying is like, really? What a buzzkill.
- I thought Katy Perry’s halftime show was awesome, to be honest. It was entertaining and silly and the sharks rocked! I don’t understand why people are hating on it so much. I think the halftime show is normally a steaming pile; this was ten times better.
- It just occurred to me this morning that since we got our new bed, I have had only one night where I woke up in the middle of said night. I sleep from the time I get into bed until the alarm goes off. That’s not to say I’m not still tired; but at least I am staying asleep. Win!
- My mom called last night and the deal is sealed: she and my dad will move to Pensacola so she can start teaching at a private school in August. This is kind of huge because she’s been out of teaching for about a year and my dad has not been able to find work for much longer. (No one wants to hire guys over 60!) This is an even bigger deal because my sister has lived close to my parents, well, forever. If you don’t count when she lived here for a year and Brooklyn for eight months. I kind of wonder if it’s the kick in the pants she needs to make herself totally independent. This move is good for us because: a.) one hour closer than before, b.) A straighter drive and no tolls, and c.) the beach! I am pumped about it.
- I’m feeling super out of shape and though I keep meaning to make a point to work out, I just don’t. I got on the elliptical last Thursday but it feels like forever ago. Maybe audio-books are the thing that will get me out the door. I feel like that might be the solution.
- Did you all hear about that new laundromat in Portland named Spin? It’s not just a place to wash your clothes but a bar and cafe AND they have pinball machines. Howcome no one has thought of this before? Not that I do my laundry anywhere other than home but in large cities, this totally makes sense. I am all about the multitasking.
- Does anyone take probiotics? If so, please tell me what brand you use and if you like it. I’m buying the basic Sundown ones but think I may need more. More active cultures!
- Did you guys hear about the kid in Texas who got suspended for bringing a ring to class and, as he was pretending it was the One Ring (as in, Lord of the…), he told a kid it could make him disappear? I mean, since when do we live in a world where words are so powerful? The admins claim they won’t tolerate threats of any kind and I guess this also means of the imaginary, magical kind. What bullshit. It’s stuff like this that makes me stabby. Don’t we want kids to use their imagination??
- Speaking of things that make me stabby – and this goes along with the Tuesday chat theme: anti-vaxxers … Let me tell you how selfish and ridiculous those folks are. Yes, I know there is gray space, for people whose kids are ill and cannot receive vaccines, but if your kid is healthy enough to receive one then it is your worldly responsibility to get them that vaccine. How dare you put an entire population at risk because you’re “scared” or you “didn’t do your research” or “you abstain for religious reasons.” I interpret that as “I use religion to keep from using logic.” If we have a full-scale measles outbreak, I am gunning for you. Be forewarned.
- That said, I am putting down my pen, so to speak, and moving on. I hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday!
- Is it… almost February? Already? I guess good riddance, January. I mean, my grandma died, people I know are having some issues, and I am beat down by all the stuff we have to do. Maybe February is going to be a whole lot better.
- I just realized I have baby snot on the front of this sweater. Just a testament to the fact that I have small kids, it’s winter, and our mornings are harried.
- We made a fire in the pit last night and made s’mores. It was nice; not too cold but a little windy. When the kids got tired of it, we sent them inside to take a bath and just Ash and I sat there. I love firelight and we could see a lot of stars.
- Tonight is soccer and truthfully, I am over this sport. Just a few more games though. The boys are enjoying it so I’ll stick it out but I am kind of ready to move on to baseball.
- Elliot will be going to a major league game during his Spring break, actually. He’s excited and even more so, my dad is excited to take him.
- UGH in twenty minutes, I have four student conferences, possibly six. There are two people who have not shown for their times on other days so I am guessing they think they are today. If not, well then…
- One of my 2015 goals was to keep up with my friends better. So far, we have tentative plans to make a standing dinner night with my friend and her family. We’re thinking Sundays at Momo’s, which is awesome; pizza and beer! Almost everyone I know is married and/or has kids so it is really difficult to make time. I’m going to try.
- We watched Maze Runner the other day and though I know of the books but had not read them, I was pleasantly surprised. I… I actually like it more than the Hunger Games movies, which bored me to tears, even though I adored those books. At the suggestion of a friend, I began reading Wool last night; also dystopian and so far, pretty interesting!
- It’s getting to be about that time of the year when I yearn to walk in the woods. I think wee’re due for a good hike.
Going to address this prompt this week; why not?
Would you feel ill at ease going to a movie alone?
Or to eat at a restaurant? A concert?
I have gone to a movie by myself exactly twice: once to see Almost Famous and the other time, to see Thor, because when Ash and I went together, I wasn’t feeling well and spent a good bit of that movie in the bathroom. I kind of like the idea of a movie by myself because no one will talk at me but the image it projects is that you have no friends. Though I don’t really care, it still strikes a chord.
I do not mind eating alone and I think people do it far more often now. Sometimes it is nice.
Now a concert? Nah. That’s a group thing. :)